The fine and coarse particles of an unpaved road work together to create a strong, smooth road. When fine particles in the upper layer of the road are lost as dust, the unpaved road breaks down, resulting in rutting, wash boarding and other undesirable conditions. Not only do these conditions lower safety, but the dust itself causes poor visibility and safety issues. In addition, for those who live or work along the road, dust is a serious threat to their health.
By binding the fine particles and stabilizing them in the upper layer, Dustex creates a safe unpaved road that requires less maintenance and, therefore, saves money.
Not only is Dustex an effective binder, it is sustainable and environmentally friendly. Dustex is used for a variety of dirt and gravel surfaces including, municipal roads, driveways, parking lots, bicycle lanes, trails, arenas, construction sites, quarry roads and mine roads.
The road should be at optimal moisture when treated with Dustex. Too dry and the product will sit on the surface. Too wet and the product could run off. Either condition limits product penetration.
1. Ideally, the road would first be scarified in order to break up the road surface and facilitate the penetration of Dustex deeper into the road.
2. The following quantities of Dustex are recommended:
- Road up to 11.5 ft wide: 3.5 st (680 gal) per mile | Road up to 3.5 m wide: 2.0 mt (1600 l) per km
- Road up to 13 ft wide: 4.0 st (790 gal) per mile | Road up to 4.0 m wide: 2.3 mt (1850 l) per km
- Road up to 15 ft wide: 4.7 st (890 gal) per mile | Road up to 4.5 m wide: 2.6 mt (2100 l) per km
- Road up to 16.5 ft wide: 5.2 st (980 gal) per mile | Road up to 5.0 m wide: 2.9 mt (2300 l) per km
- Road up to 18 ft wide: 5.5 st (1060 gal) per mile | Road up to 5.5 m wide: 3.1 mt (2500 l) per km
- Road up to 20 ft wide: 6.0 st (1150 gal) per mile | Road up to 6.0 m wide: 3.4 mt (2700 l) per km
3. For application on the road, dilute the above-mentioned amounts of Dustex with water at a ratio of 1:2.
To obtain the best result, an analysis of the existing soil, its typology, its actual humidity, the optimum humidity and the particle size distribution are recommended. Very dry roads should be watered before the application of Dustex to improve its penetration into the surface layer.